Tuesday, February 10, 2009

TIME w/GOD!


SCRIPTURE
Mark 1:35 [Message] While it was still night, way before dawn, he got up and went out to a secluded spot and prayed.
Mark 1:35 [ESV] And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed.
Mark 1:35 [NLT] Before daybreak the next morning, Jesus got up and went out to an isolated place to pray.
Mark 1:35 [TNIV] Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.
Mark 1:35 [AMP] And in the morning, long before daylight, He got up and went out to a deserted place, and there He prayed.
Mark 1:35 [CEV] Very early the next morning, Jesus got up and went to a place where he could be alone and pray.

OBSERVATION
I read this passage in lots of different translations just to see how differently it was handled.
I love how Eugene Peterson paraphrased it in the Message: "While it was still night" - honestly - that is what very early in the morning is: STILL NIGHT!
Then I noticed the common denominators in all most all of the translations, "He got up and went..." this describes something more than "good intentions" - he did it, he got up and went... He went and PRAYED!
And perhaps the most interesting observation to me is how the different translations have Jesus going to so many different places.
to a secluded spot, to a desolate place, to an isolated place, solitary place, a deserted place, and last - just to a place.
One last observation, what the text didn't say - It didn't say that Jesus did this EVERY morning, or always ALONE.

APPLICATION
There are times, not all the time, but there are times when my spiritual life requires some let's call it extra effort.
And in those times I need to get up, get going, and get alone and with God.
And in those times, I need to listen a whole lot more than talk.
I've got two favorite places to get alone with God, a porch at a cabin in Shaver, or the beach, any beach where I can hear the waves and know I'm with God.
All is right with the world, when I'm like Jesus, seeking the Father.

PRAYER
Father,
I know you are available all the time and anywhere.
But I so appreciate the time we spent alone and together.
As much as I enjoy doing life with you every day, I really enjoy when we disconnect and spend time alone and together.
Let's do it again real soon.

No comments: