Friday, May 29, 2009

Will I Serve?



REFERENCE
John 15:15 [ESV] 15 No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.

John 15:15 [Message] I’m no longer calling you servants because servants don’t understand what their master is thinking and planning. No, I’ve named you friends because I’ve let you in on everything I’ve heard from the Father.

EXPLORATION
When I read this verse, I suppose like most everyone that my first response is a warm fuzzy - Jesus is calling me “friend” - that’s a win on any day.
But upon farther meditation I’m struck by the beginning of the verse; “I’m no longer calling you servants.”
So was there a time when Jesus thought of me as servant? Was I in fact created to do his bidding?
How easy it is to forget that God is God.
How easy to forget that in fact; we are “created” beings, created for his glory and honor.
How marvelous it is to think that He loves me so much that He rather I serve Him because I want to rather than because I have to.

APPLICATION
As “friend” will I choose to serve Him?
The answer won’t be in a verbal response, “YES!”
The answer will be played out in my actions.
The answer will be played out in my reactions.

PRAYER
Father,
This is what Jesus has made known, GOD is Love!
As a friend may I serve you, as I become love to the people you place in my life.

No comments: