Monday, February 2, 2009

60/60 EXPERIMENT

SCRIPTURE
Psalm 42:1-2 [Message] A white-tailed deer drinks from the creek; I want to drink God, deep draughts of God. I’m thirsty for God-alive. I wonder, “Will I ever make it— arrive and drink in God’s presence?”
Psalm 42:1-2 [ESV] As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. 2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?

OBSERVATION
LONGING
ACHING
THIRSTING
PANTING
DESIRE
Words describing a need for God.
Words that leave me with questions.
How great is my longing? When I read the verses, they resonate with me but do they represent my true feelings?
How often do I ache for God? Ache - as in can't be without Him ache?
How real is the thirst? Is it like coffee, - hey I like it, but could I live without it?
How much panting does my soul really do?
These words speak of desire, these verses speak of desire, HOW MUCH DO I REALLY DESIRE GOD?

APPLICATION
In a week our church is going to start a 60/60 campaign
Pledging to spend time with God every 60 [waking] minutes for 60 days.
I'm going to start now -
I am curious to see if it will get me to panting, to thirsting, to aching and longing for God.
Is it possible that the more time I spent with God will create in me an even greater desire to spend even more time with Him?
Is it possible that I just can't get enough of God?

PRAYER
Father,
I read these verses in Psalm 42 and instantly think - Yeah that's me - longing for God!
And You know that I do.
You also know I don't long after You as often as I think I do.
For 60 days - every 60 waking minutes - I going to stop and think about You, I going to listen for You.
What I'm not going to do is talk too You. I'm going to let you talk to me.
For 60 days every 60 minutes - I'm going to stop and learn from you.
For 60 days every 60 minutes - I'm going to yearn for you.
For 60 days every 60 minutes - Will I pant? Will I thirst?
The psalmist wrote: "When shall I come and appear before God?"
For me, for 60 days it will be every 60 minutes.

No comments: