Tuesday, February 17, 2009

THE GREAT COMPASS

SCRIPTURE
Matthew 28:16-20 [Message] Meanwhile, the eleven disciples were on their way to Galilee, headed for the mountain Jesus had set for their reunion. 17 The moment they saw him they worshiped him. Some, though, held back, not sure about worship, about risking themselves totally. 18 Jesus, undeterred, went right ahead and gave his charge: “God authorized and commanded me to commission you: 19 Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. 20 Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I’ll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age.”

OBSERVATION
Most people call these verses, "the great commission" - I like to think of them as the "great compass"
I read this text with this question, "WHERE AM I?"
1] v.16 - on my way to a mountaintop experience?
2] v.17- seeing Jesus and worshiping Him?
3] v.17 - seeing Jesus and holding back - not quite sure about "all in"?
4] v.18 - hearing Jesus
5] v.19 - obeying Jesus
6] v.20 - learning from Jesus, [instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you] - ["all" I have commanded you- is there a list?]
7] v.20 - trusting Jesus - "I will be with you as you do this"

APPLICATION
I find myself trusting Jesus - He is with me
I find myself learning from Jesus - ever so slowly - there is no list of "all" that he commanded.
I find myself obeying somewhat - I take in more than I share with others or more then I train them
I find myself hearing and at times - in my selfishness holding back.
I find myself worshiping - but not nearly as often as He deserves.
I find myself heading up to the mountain - for the final reunion

PRAYER
Father,
Be my great compass, let me live out the great commission; let these verses ring true in my mind, heart and soul
...but whenever a person turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit. [2 Cor. 16-18 NASB]

No comments: