Monday, February 16, 2009

WHAT DID IT SAY?

SCRIPTURE
Psalm 1:1-3 [Message] How well God must like you— you don’t hang out at Sin Saloon, you don’t slink along Dead-End Road, you don’t go to Smart-Mouth College. 2 Instead you thrill to God’s Word, you chew on Scripture day and night.3 You’re a tree replanted in Eden, bearing fresh fruit every month, never dropping a leaf, always in blossom.
Psalm 1:1-3 [ESV] Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; 2 but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. 3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. 4 The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away.]

OBSERVATION
"How well God must like you-" in a cool way to say, "Blessed is the man who..." - that was nice to wake up too.
Then I kept reading and got convicted:
"you don't hang out at Sin Saloon,"- well, I don't spend lots of time there, but to be honest - yeah I sin - some days more than others.
"you don’t slink along Dead-End Road," - not intentionally - but man can I waste time on the INTERNET
" you don’t go to Smart-Mouth College" - truth be told I've audited a class or two - not really proud of that.
"Instead you thrill to God’s Word, you chew on Scripture day and night. - here's the reality, I got out of bed and the first thing I wanted to do was read the Bible and do my life journal - the first thing I did was reply to about six emails and spend a half hour on facebook -
I got here - but if was eventually - not right away - and the whole "chew on Scripture day and night" - yeah - I need more of that in my life - I do Scripture like a sprinter, I want to do Scripture like a marathoner - spending hours at it.
So let's finish out the reflections:
"bearing fruit every month" - don't know - hope so;
"never dropping a leaf" - no there is some habitual sin in my life that when visited - kills growth;
"always in blossom" - NO! - but desiring to get there!
"How well God must like you-" in a cool way to say, "Blessed is the man who..." - that is nice to aspire too!

APPLICATION
God loves an honest heart.
Psalm 1 isn't someplace that I've arrived too. It is someplace that I am headed!

PRAYER
Father,
There is nothing in me that believes that your love for me is based on the time I spend with you.
Everything in me believes that from time to time in Scripture a loving Father, reminds his children - "Yeah let's hang around together more often"
That's what I've heard today. Not, "Shame on you" but rather "Draw near"
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer. Ps.19:14

No comments: