Friday, March 6, 2009

MISSING THE POINT


REFERENCE
Jeremiah 17:7-8 [ESV] 7 Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose trust is the Lord. 8 He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.

EXPLORATION
Only in America is this one of those "name it and claim it" verses. Americans read this verse and think, "if I trust in God I won't get hot, and I'll never get thirsty, God provides" Some how we make blessed mean taken care of, protected, provided for. We make the verse about being blessed, being happy, when the verse is about trust. Trust "WHEN THE HEAT COMES" trust WHEN THE DROUGHT COMES.

APPLICATION
I desire to move from "trust in the Lord" to "trust is the Lord"
I desire to trust during tough times
I desire to keep Blessed a verb, an action instead of making it into a noun, an object.
I desire the Lord, in good weather and in bad
I desire the Lord, in good times and in bad
I desire to make the verse about Him, and not about me.

PRAYER
Father,
I have a habit of making things say what I want them to say. Keep me true to your Word.
When I read and study your Word, help me remember that it is a whole lot more about You than it is about Me.
Make trust and Lord one word in my vocabulary, in my life.
Keep me from missing the point, life is about trusting You with whatever comes my way.
Life is about You.

No comments: