Thursday, April 23, 2009

LEAVING!


REFERENCE
Romans 6:4 [ESV] We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
Romans 6:4,5 [Message] When we are lowered into the water, it is like the burial of Jesus; when we are raised up out of the water, it is like the resurrection of Jesus. Each of us is raised into a light-filled world by our Father so that we can see where we’re going in our new grace-sovereign country.
Romans 6:4 [JB Phillips] We were dead and buried with him in baptism, so that just as he was raised from the dead by that splendid Revelation of the Father's power so we too might rise to life on a new plane altogether.

EXPLORATION
Every just feel silly? When I read the JB Phillips translation of this verse - this is where my mind went - an old song - "Im leavin on a jet plane - Dont know when Ill be back again" If you remember the song at all the lyrics overall don't work - but that phrase does.
I've been given "newness of life" - I live on a new level, in a grace filled environment -
So why do I choose to go back to "my old girlfriend" to "my flesh"?
I need to live in the power of Christ's resurrection.

APPLICATION
Claim the power of new life in Christ Jesus
Fly away from "self"
Fly into the arms of Jesus
Live in Him, Live through Him, Live for Him.
High and Lifted Up

PRAYER
Father,
Thank you for this verse
Thank you for the newness of life
Keep me from myself - from my flesh - from my sin
Lead me not into temptation and keep me from evil
For Thine is the glory and the honor and the power.
AMEN

PS: I know the Phillips translation wasn't talkikng about a plane, as in airplane.
But hey my mind went there - and I didn't turn back.
God used my silliness to speak to me, hope it spoke to you!

No comments: