Wednesday, April 22, 2009

LIGHT OF THE WORLD


REFERENCE
John 8:12 [ESV] Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.
John 8:12 [Message] Jesus once again addressed them: “I am the world’s Light. No one who follows me stumbles around in the darkness. I provide plenty of light to live in.”

EXPLORATION
Don't miss the "again" - it gives the verse context - this is a continuation of the chapter 7 and Jesus being at the Feast of Tabernacles where he has already made this proclamation: John 7:37,38 [Message] 37 On the final and climactic day of the Feast, Jesus took his stand. He cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. 38 Rivers of living water will brim and spill out of the depths of anyone who believes in me this way, just as the Scripture says.”
Picture this: On the first night of Tabernacles and apparently on each night of the feast except on Sabbath, the worshipers awaited the signal of the special lighting of the festive golden lamps of Tabernacles in the court of women. The lamps were intended to remind worshipers of God’s leading the people of Israel through the wilderness at night by a pillar of fire [New American Commentary]
And now with that backdrop - Jesus proclaims " I AM THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD.

APPLICATION

PRAISE!

For you have delivered my soul from death, yes, my feet from falling, ​that I may walk before God ​in the light of life. [Ps. 56:13]
The Lord is my ​light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold​ of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? [Ps. 27:1]
Then shall your light break forth like the dawn, ​and your healing shall spring up speedily; your righteousness shall go before you; the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard. [Is. 58:8]
In their case ​the god of this world ​has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of i​the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 5 For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants​ for Jesus’ sake. 6 For God, who said, ​“Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give o​the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. [2 Cor. 4:4-6]

PRAYER
Father,
Thank you for revealing Jesus to me -
Use me to reveal Him to others.
The "Light of the World"

No comments: