Tuesday, April 21, 2009

THE BATTLE

REFERENCE
Romans 5:8 [ESV] but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8 [Message] But God put his love on the line for us by offering his Son in sacrificial death while we were of no use whatever to him.
Romans 5:8 [NLT] But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.

EXPLORATION
I have such a hard time wrapping myself around this verse.
I'm good with the literal meaning, I believe God loves me that much.
I'm not so good with the implied meaning, that I should be like Him.
I love to love lovely people.
I love to love the unloved.
I love to hate the self-righteous.

APPLICATION
The line between righteous and self-righteous in pretty thin.
Truth be told on any given day I can fall on either side of that line.
I can be that which I hate the most - self-righteous.
I can name the names of people I am so disappointed with that I don't want to love them.
I can't help but wonder - how many people I've disappointed, they don't want to love me.

PRAYER
Father,
I've a friend that has been hurt and everything in me wants to "get even" for her.
I want to be like David and pray prayer of vengeance.
I want to be like Jesus and love losers.
Change my heart oh God, I don't want to be that which I hate the most - self righteous.
Teach me to forgive, forget, and find a way to love, the unlovely; sinners like me.

No comments: