Tuesday, April 14, 2009

WHISPER


REFERENCE
1 Kings 19:11-13 [ESV] And he said, Go out and stand on the mount before the Lord. And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper. 13 And when Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And behold, there came a voice to him and said, What are you doing here, Elijah?

EXPLORATION
Although the text does not explicitly say so, it implies that God was at last passing by in the silence which followed the storm.
God proves He is God with might
God purposes with a whisper.
I love going to the ocean, it is perhaps my favorite place on earth.
I love to listen to the waves crash, and for years thought the thunder of crashing waves was God's voice.
Then on one occasion not so many years ago, God revealed to be that He doesn't speak in the crash; but rather in the silence following the crashing wave.
My world is filled with it's own chaos, with it's own storms, and earthquakes, and fire.
And when I turn to God who uses those very things to get my attention like Elijah, I too hear Him whisper.
"What are you doing here, Joe?"

APPLICATION
"What are you doing here, Joe?"
Hiding from chaos?
or Hearing Christ?
Listen to the Whisper!

PRAYER
Father,
You continue to show your grace and mercy.
Teach me to show your grace and mercy too.
I see injustice and I want to scream - How is that Christ like?
Whisper to me, Calm me, teach me to care
Teach me to whisper

No comments: