Thursday, May 21, 2009

Can you get to tomorrow without remembering yesterdays?



REFERENCE
Psalm 77:6 [ESV] I said, Let me remember my song in the night; let me meditate in my heart. Then my spirit made a diligent search:
Psalm 77:6 [Message] I strum my lute all through the night, wondering how to get my life together.
Psalm 77:5,6 [NLT] I think of the good old days, long since ended, 6 when my nights were filled with joyful songs. I search my soul and ponder the difference now.

EXPLORATION
There is within this Psalm a cry for yesterdays. A cry for what was, A cry for what could be! I think of times in my life when I felt like I was one with God. Totally in sync. Times when a song or a melody drew Him near. Times when my heart jumped as I saw Him working in the life of a ragamuffin. Times when I wondered can heaven be any better than this?
But those aren’t everyday experiences. On most days I wonder if I’ve left Him or if He’s left me. On most days I find myself with less than, rather than more than enough. On most days I sense Him, I just don’t experience Him. On most days...

APPLICATION
When I remember how He showed up in the past, I can count on Him to show up in the present.
When I’m not experiencing Him, it’s because I’m not reflecting on what He has already done.
It’s a dumb joke, “Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the other side”
CHICKEN, Cross the Road!

PRAYER
Father,
When I feel distant from you, fill me with memories of all the times you’ve showed up.
When I stray, bring me back I pray.
When I wonder, fill me with your wonder.
The Bible says, “Knock and the door shall be opened”
I’m knocking!
Take me to the other side, allow me to experience your grace today.

No comments: