Sunday, March 15, 2009

In Jesus' Name


REFERENCE
Philippians 4:6,7 [Message] 6 Don’t fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. 7 Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.
Philippians 4:6,7 [ESV] do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

EXPLORATION
Surely we have to depend on wisdom greater than our own when we pray. Something in us whispers that it is not right to treat our God like a celestial vending machine into which we place faith nickels to get the jackpot we want. Somehow proper prayer must put more trust in God's will than in human wants. Our belief must be in God. He, not our desire, is the object of our faith. Specific prayer is an act of worship demonstrating that we are willing to submit everyting in our lives to God - our smallest desires and greatest aspirations. [1]

APPLICATION
PRAY

PRAYER
Heavenly Father,
I pray to you today in Jesus' name.
Focus my heart on the priorities of my Savior, whom you have provided out of your great love.
Please do in me and through me whatever will bring glory to Jesus.
And so listen to each petition I make, please help me offer it; claiming Christ's merit more than my own, seeking Christ's purposes more than my own, loving Christ's glory more than my own.
These are the petition I offer: [Offer your petitions here.]
By the power and wisdom of the Holy Spirit transform my requests into instruments for accomplishing your will to have Christ honored everywhere - especially in my heart.
Make my greatest desire, highest joy, and deepest fulfillment Jesus' glory.
I can attempt all you require of my life, face all you design for my path, rejoice in all you will for my eternity, when I know all is for Jesus' name.
Do all that you know is best for Him, for this most blesses me.
Forgive my readiness to forget and my tendency to doubt that when he is most glorified, I am most satisfied.
When my mind shrinks from these truths, enlarge my heart for Christ's purposes.
For Christ's sake and for mine, help me always to pray In Jesus' name, amen. [2]

[1] selects notes from: Praying Backwards - transform your prayer life by beginning in Jesus' name. - Bryan Chapell
[2] closing prayer chapter one of the same book.

* let me encourage you to order this book

No comments: