Tuesday, March 10, 2009

SEEK FIRST = JUST DO IT


REFERENCE
Matthew 6:33,34 [ESV] But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. 34 Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Matthew 6:33,34 [Message] Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don’t worry about missing out. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. 34 “Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.

EXPLORATION
This is why I so love to read Scripture in different translations and paraphrases.
Check out v. 34 [ESV] therefore do not be anxious...
Check out v. 34 [Message] Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now.
Are they saying two different things, or are they saying the same thing?
I propose that they are saying the same thing. For if you give your entire [let me repeat that, your entire] attention to what God is doing right now, you will not be anxious.

APPLICATION
I'm not sure you can purposefully "not be anxious" - you don't wish anxiety away.
I'm quite sure that you can learn to give your entire attention to God, and in doing so - not become anxious.
TRAINING PROGRAM - ENTIRE ATTENTION TO GOD - that's a marathon.
I'm going to continue with the baby steps and spend some intentional time with God each waking hour.

PRAYER
Holy Spirit, may I call you "Coach"
In Jesus' name and according to the Father's will -
teach me, train me, and take me to Jesus.
Only by your power in and through me can I get to "entire attention to God"
I'm wanting to go there.

No comments: